Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America - I Still Believe In You



Today is the fourth of July. It has been designated as America's "Independence Day".... as America's birthday. And, I still believe in you, America.

I still believe that you are still one of the great countries in the world. And while there are many, I do feel blessed to have been born in America.

I say that, while our country is in an economic crisis with a no viable sign of relief in the near future. I say that, while we are still fighting a huge oil spill that is endangering our wildlife, our waters, and our fishermen's livelihood. I say that even though our sons and daughters are still in foriegn lands waiting for the signal that they can finally put down their firing arms and come home. I say that, while there are immigration disputes and while the religious faith our country was originally founded and based upon is being attacked. I say that because I believe in America.

Just as those before us worked together, and believed that our country would get through the depression era of the 30s, World War I and II, the assination of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr, and then Robert F. Kennedy, and September 11, 2001, I believe that America will get through all the crisis that we are faced with today. Because, as Americans, that is what we, at the end of the day, have always done best.

So today America, I wish you a very Happy Birthday .... because, I stll believe in you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In honor of Independence Day, I've included a video (above) in tribute of America. Ironically, the woman you hear singing is Canadian born Celine Dion. When I heard this the first time, it dawned on me. Doesn't matter where she is from, this song has never been sung more beautifully. Click to listen and view.



No comments:

Post a Comment